While much of the world is taken by this tiny living lifestyle, for us bigger people its not really a viable option. We need heavy duty furniture for heavy people in order to be able to live safely and to relax comfortably.
Regardless of what the furniture is, when you weigh over 220-250 pounds, chances are the item is not strong enough or has the reinforcements to handle the weight. Most standard furniture is between 200 pounds capacity and 250 pounds capacity.
The term ‘heavy duty furniture’ can cover a broad spectrum of furniture. Ranging from dining chairs to reclining couches with a sprinkle of bedding in between.
So to make it easier for you to buy indoors and outdoors furniture for heavy people I have created several lists of appropriate products. Click on the appropriate type of furniture and you will be taken to a page of furniture items suitable for heavy duty use.
Select Your Furniture
Quick Links to Info on this Page:
- 1 Indoor Furniture For Heavy People
- 2 Sturdy Furniture
- 3 Lounge Room Furniture For Heavy People
- 4 Heavy Duty Rated Kitchen Chairs
- 5 Office Chairs For Heavy People
- 6 Bedding For Larger People
- 7 Heavy Duty Outdoors Furniture
- 8 Portable And Lawn Chairs
- 9 Camping Furniture & Beach Chairs
- 10 Camping For Heavy People
- 11 What Heavy Duty Furniture Are You Looking For?
Indoor Furniture For Heavy People
A very popular piece of indoor furniture for bigger people are recliners. Simply because they are super comfortable and very sturdy for the big man. A heavy duty recliner that is designed for big and tall people can handle weights up to 500 pounds.
However recliners come in all shapes and sizes which can make it hard to choose just one. To make life all that much easier, I have classified recliners into groups so that you can make an informed decision. These include:
- Recliners With High Weight Capacities: Ideal for the obese and people near on 500 pounds in weight.
- Power Lift Recliners: Ideal for elderly people or disabled people that need help getting in and out of a recliner.
- Extra Wide Seat Recliners: The bigger the seat, the bigger the backside.
Massage chairs are pretty much upgraded recliner chairs. Well worth the investment if you ask me. However due to the complex nature of a massage chair, they don’t seem to be widely available for heavy people.
That’s not to say there are not options, just limit choices. Naturally the more reinforced and sturdier the massage chair, the more expensive they become. It’s the same when you are taller as well, the options are pretty scarce.
To save you the time and effort of researching, I have compiled a list of big and tall massage chairs with weight capacities up to 440 pounds and suitable for tall people up to 6’7″.
Lounge Room Furniture For Heavy People
Lounge room furniture is hit and miss for the heavy person due to a lack of weight capacities. Some manufacturers don’t bother to test the weight limit of the sofas but many choose not too.
Which does make it hard for someone over 250 pounds to safely invest in. While you can also try out the couches on a show room floor to see if they fit, you won’t necessarily know how long they will last under daily heavy duty use.
In many cases you need to know the construction of the chair and how well it is reinforced. Whether the frame is made from steel or timber can also help you decide. Below are some links to lounge room furniture suitable for heavier people to help make the decision easier.
Heavy Duty Rated Kitchen Chairs
Kitchen chairs are probably the hardest to find when it comes to labelled weight ratings. For whatever reason manufacturers don’t want us knowing how much weight they can bear.
So it’s up to us to do our own due diligence and avoid the weak thin looking dining chairs. The same goes for bar stools which usually have just the one support pole. So choosing these wisely is mandatory for a bigger person.
- Extra Strong Dining Chairs: A list of kitchen and dining room chairs with high weigh capacities.
- Bar Stools for the big man.
- Folding Chairs: With weight capacities up 1000Lbs, these indoor folding chairs can also be used in the kitchen or dining room.
Office Chairs For Heavy People
Office chairs are one of the most sort after piece of office furniture for bigger people. This is because they can be so weak and break far too often. Which can lead to you buying a new one every 6 months.
Much like recliner chairs, office chairs come in a variety of styles and weight capacities. To save you yet another headache, I have complied various lists of the best office chairs for heavy people according to weight capacities.
With office chairs I would certainly recommend you buy one above your actual weight. Add about 50lbs to safeguard yourself against defects and voiding your warranty.
- Up to 1000Lb Capacity Office Chairs: Options are fewer but are sturdy and very strong for people over 400 pounds.
- Big And Tall Office Chairs up to 500 pound weight capacities.
- Office chairs specifically designed to hold 400 pounds of weight.
- Ergonomic Office Chairs For Heavy People: Top of the range office chairs designed and built to be as a ergonomic as possible, while having higher weight capacities.
Bedding For Larger People
Bedroom furniture for heavier people is more important than any other piece of furniture. As we typically spend 1/3 of our lives in bed it’s important to have a strong foundation beneath us with a comfortable mattress which relieves pressure where required.
It all starts with the appropriate bed frame. Without a strong and reinforced bed frame you have no chance of making the bed last a long time. Good news is that there are a few options in terms of high capacity bed frames. They can go up to 4400 lbs in capacity.
Do keep in mind that a mattress can weigh anywhere up to 200 pounds alone. Mattresses also have weight capacities labelled on them. So choosing a mattress is just as important as a bed frame.
Also listed below are portable bedding ideas for when you have large guests stay over or if you need to sleep over at another persons house and want to bring your own bed.
- Heavy Duty Bed Frames: A good selection of steel bed frames and platform beds for heavy people.
- King Size Beds: These beds are more your traditional style bed without the steel frame.
- Mattresses For Heavy People
- Memory Foam Mattresses: Take a look at the best options for a heavy person when deciding on memory foam mattresses. These are premium mattresses which handle heavy weight best.
Alternative Bedroom Furniture For Big People
Sometimes the traditional bed is not always suitable for a big person. This is when portable options and bunk beds play a key role. Portable beds can be used for just that or as a guest bed.
When space is limited, a folding bed can be used as a temporary solution for the big person. Beds on wheels are also other options to consider.
- Bunk Beds With High Weight Capacities
- Folding Beds For Overweight People
- Heavy Duty Rollaway Beds: Similar to folding beds, but on wheels for easy storage.
Heavy Duty Outdoors Furniture
Nothing beats being able to go out and relax on the deck/porch. But the same problems a big person has for interior furniture also applies to outdoors furniture. That is the size and lack of load bearing capacity.
Spending time out on the deck is certainly my favorite part of the day or when the family gathers. So to help you find relevant deck furniture, click on the appropriate items of furniture below to find heavy duty versions.
Who doesn’t love to doze off while gently swaying in a rocking chair, I know I certainly do. However the stress a heavy person puts on this piece of furniture is certainly enough to break a ‘standard’ size rocker.
Which can be quite dangerous, especially when you weigh more than 220 pounds, like most standard weight capacities. But fortunately their are some decent options for us bigger people. These rocking chairs found here have weight capacities that range from 300 pounds to 500 pounds.
Other deck chair alternatives include the following:
- Heavy Load Porch Swings: Porch swings that have high weight capacities including standalone swings.
- Oversized Hammocks For Large People: Hammocks can prove a little difficult to get in for the average size user. However, many of us big men have proven that relaxing in a oversized hammock can easily be done. With weight capacities up to 1500lbs, why not give it a go.
- Traditional Patio Chairs: A selection of suitable load bearing patio chairs.
Portable And Lawn Chairs
Portable chairs are just that, they need to be portable and easy to transport. These types of chairs are brilliant for the larger person when attending gatherings or family parties.
I don’t know how many times I have simply stood for hours on end due to fear of breaking someone else’s chair. Even tho it was causing havoc on my back and joints, it was worth the pain to save the embarrassment.
But when you own your own portable outdoors chair you are always prepared. Provided you buy a strong and sturdy chair with higher weight ratings, you will never run the risk of breaking someone else chair again.
The possible portable chairs for a heavy person include:
- Outdoor Folding Chairs with weight capacities up to 1000lbs.
- Directors Chairs are very handy for the big persons portable chair as they can have side tales and fold up nice and compact.
- Tailgate Chair solutions for heavier sports fans.
Oversized Lawn Chairs
Outdoor furniture tends to be more heavy duty compared to the indoors options, but for a heavy person it’s still important to check any weight ratings and how well the chairs have been reinforced.
Adirondack chairs while low to the ground, are great lawn chairs. They look superb and add an element of class to any ones backyard or porch. If you find it too difficult to get down to within inches of the ground, then unfortunately these types of chairs are not for you. But if you still have it in you, these 500 pound capacity Adirondack chairs are just amazing.
Lawn chairs on the other hand sit much higher off the ground, but are more vulnerable to heavy people. So it’s certainly not easy to find heavy duty versions of this type of outdoor furniture.
Camping Furniture & Beach Chairs
The last of this list for heavy duty furniture for heavy people covers the camping and beach department. Both activities are very rewarding but for some heavy people, it feels impossible.
The thought of going down to the beach when you’re 300 pounds is a little daunting. But at the end of the day, who cares what people think. We’re here on this planet to enjoy ourselves.
So grab yourself an oversized beach chair which will support your weight and live a little. Life is too short to care about what random people on the beach think about our bodies.
Camping For Heavy People
Camping furniture rules apply the same as they door regular furniture. The beds you sleep on and the chairs you sit on need to be able to support your weight. Otherwise you’re not going to enjoy the great outdoors like you should do.
When it comes to camping beds for heavy people you have 2 main options. They are cots and airbeds. The link above will take you to 3 of the most popular camping beds that heavy people can use. They are big, comfortable and strong enough to support most heavy people.
Now you have your bed covered its time to find some heavy duty camp chairs. There are 2 options readily available. Ones that recline and the more traditional camping chairs.
I prefer the reclining chairs because, well when I’m camping I like to relax with my feet up. So it just makes sense. However, most reclining chairs can’t handle heavy loads. This causes too much pressure on the support bars which could easily break.
However there is this jumbo size reclining camp chair with a weight capacity of 450lbs for the really big campers. There are also other options listed on that link.
For the more traditional chairs, you can get some ginormous camping chairs up to 1000lbs capacity. These things are massive. There are also a bunch of other heavy duty camping chairs available too. So check it out.
What Heavy Duty Furniture Are You Looking For?
So there it is, quite a long list of furniture for heavy people. There is a vast range of different pieces of furniture for most peoples needs.
But perhaps I missed something?. If there is some certain type of heavy duty furniture you’re after, let me know in the comments below and I’ll try my hardest to source it out for you.