I hope you love the products I've recommended below, just a heads up that as an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means I may earn commissions on products bought via links on this page.
Quick Links to Info on this Page:
- 1 Top 5 Exercise Bikes For Heavy People
- 2 Compare Heavy Duty Exercise Bikes
- 3 Exercise Bike 400 Lbs Capacity
- 4 Upright Exercise Bikes Up To 300 Lbs Weight Capacity
- 5 Affordable 325 Pound Rated Exercise Bike
- 6 Popular 300 Lbs Weight Capacity Uprights
- 7 Nautilus U616 Review – 300 Pound Weight Capacity
- 8 Best Spin Bikes For Heavy People
- 9 350 Pound Weight Capacity Recumbent Exercise Bike
Top 5 Exercise Bikes For Heavy People
I’ve grown up with exercise bikes around me all my life and as a bigger person they hold a certain degree of fear to them. This is because of a balance, weight and height issue that can be somewhat off putting. Which can lead to immobility and lack of enthusiasm to exercise.
However, with the best exercise bike suited to one’s body size and weight capacity, the intimidation resides to allow for confidence and the will to take action.
A good upright bike can be worth its weight in gold if it suits your body and has the elements needed for a overweight person.I also find that becoming confident on a exercise bike makes the transition to a heavy duty bicycle much more easier. The freedom a bicycle offers is well worth the effort involved to get back on the bike.
Some of the important elements I look for when buying a exercise bike for a heavy person are:
What To Look For
- The ability to withstand high weight capacities is the most important element to consider. This can be a reflection of the quality of the frame of the bike. A heavy duty exercise bike frame is a great foundation for holding heavy weights.
- Seat Comfort. Lets face it, it exercising is not comfortable as a big person. Then all hope is lost. If a tiny seat is wedged up there and fells like sitting on a fence pole…Then finding a consistent exercise routine is considerably harder.
- Height of inner console and seat can make or break the bike. As an overweight person myself, I know just how hard it is to get those legs to do what you want. Good luck getting the backside over the seat if the inner console is raised. This is of course dependent of how big ones body is. So a bike with a lower center piece and seat is ideal.
- Type of exercise bike: Upright, Recumbent or Spin. Uprights are the most popular type while Recumbent bikes are great for bigger people do to the ability to sit comfortably. Spin bikes are the type for people wanting too simulate real road bike cycling.
Compare Heavy Duty Exercise Bikes
Exercise Bike 400 Lbs Capacity
High weight capacity exercise bikes are rare to find once you get around the 400 pound capacity mark. Well in an affordable price range that is. Exerpeutic have come to the rescue with this 400 pound capacity exercise bike that is not only affordable, but quite a nice piece of equipment.
The Exerpeutic Gold 575 XLS is the heavy duty version of their other upright magnetic bike. This one is made with 20% more steel to give it the strength to hold up to 400lbs.
What I like about this bike is that it has a large seat. Too many times do companies put a scrawny seat on. There is nothing worse then sitting on a tiny uncomfortable seat. It’s hard enough to get motivated to exercise without the additional discomfort.
Suitable For The Big & Tall
With the high weight capacity comes the ability to cater to the taller people as well. Folks up to about 6’5″ tall will find the height adjustments suitable on this Exerpeutic.
The Specs You Need To Know
- Magnetic exercise bike with 16 tensions
- 21 preset programs
- Heart Pulse Sensors
- Bluetooth connectivity allows you to connect to the free app to track your data
- LCD screen with back light which counts your calories, speed, pulse, timer and more.
- Folds down to half its size and has wheels for easy transportation.
- Decent size pedals for us bigger folks with larger feet.
Upright Exercise Bikes Up To 300 Lbs Weight Capacity
Sole Fitness B94 – Time tested and bang for buck
Without having a physical store location to test out the B94, its always going to be a buying decision based on reviews. Fortunately Sole Fitness have a rather good name in the exercise equipment world. In fact I recommend the Elliptical Trainer by Sole as a great alternative to exercise bikes. This eliminates the discomfort a bike seat often comes with.
For me, the Sole B94 hits the sweet spot between value for money and functionality that we so crave for in a exercise bike. This model does come with a Gel cushioned seat, however the resistance this seat can handle I believe may not suit all big Guys and Gals. While finding a superior comfort seat is a bit of a mission, if you have your own bike seat. Than you can easily swap over seats if this seat doesn’t cut it for comfort level.
Tip: Reverse the adjustable seat support so it sits back further than normal. This will help to give a little more belly space between the body and bike.
The weight capacity for the Sole B94 is a entry level 300 LBs. Which is fine for people whom are up to 275 lbs, but any more and I think you may be pushing it.
More About The B94
There are 20 resistant levels which can be turned on with just a single touch on the computer screen. I find this amount of tension level perfectly suited to us larger people. In all honesty, I don’t think I could see my self doing more than a 60 minute workout ever. So this bike is a good fit for the normal user.
For the price of this exercise bike, I was rather surprised by the high end monitor. I like the fact it can have 2 programmable users stored in the system as this can motivate the partner to get involved as well.
Overall I believe the Sole Fitness B94 upright exercise bike to be the best for a heavy person looking for a bike up to 300 pounds. The nice balance between price and features (Without even mentioning them all!) is the icing on the cake. I recommend this bike for the overweight person looking to get into shape. For a serious bike rider, you may not find the resistance levels enough to satisfy.
Affordable 325 Pound Rated Exercise Bike
The Exerpeutic 500 XLS Upright For Budget Minded Folks
Exerpeutic produce a good line of affordable exercise equipment including the ever popular Exerpeutic treadmill. In this case they have provided a sturdy 325 lbs weight capacity exercise bike. To me the price seems a little to low when compared to other bikes. However the features and design do reflect this.
There’s not a great deal to this bike, it’s more or less what you would have expected from a bike back in the day. Not too many bells and whistles, just a solid exercise bike built to handle heavy duty weights. Which is fine if that is what you are after. Me personally I need the latest whiz bang monitors and apps, as I think they help to keep motivation and goal setting up.
What I do like is the extra large padded bike seat. It measure about 14″ by 9″ with a 7″ width on the edges. So it’s well suited for larger users. However where the seat shines, the height adjustments aren’t great for shorter people. The bare minimum height I would recommend this bike to is 5’2″. The Exerpeutic is better suited for folks up to 6’5″.
Where the Exerpeutic 500 XLS will gain popularity is from it’s portability/fold up option. As it folds down to half it’s size and even has caster wheels, storage for this bike are an ideal fit for tight areas. Great option for apartments and units. The magnetic tension has 8 different levels, which are suited to the common user. Not designed for professional use. This is where the price tag is reflective of it’s features.
In conclusion, if you don’t want to break the bank and want a reliable upright exercise bike I believe you may love the Exerpeutic. Designed to do what it does without too many distractions. Note: I do love the hear rate sensor which monitors your heart beat from the handle bars.
Do note that this bike has a weight capacity of 325 pounds, some places online label it as 400 lbs.
Popular 300 Lbs Weight Capacity Uprights
- 3 Speed fan and USB connectivity with Mp3 speakers are actually good. Many times these little bonuses are second rate. But not on this Schwinn
- LCD display which can have 2 users. Comes with 22 programs or you can make your own. The computer allows you to monitor stats for 13 different tracking at once.
- 20 levels of resistance.
- Assembly is easy, allow 1 hour and you should be fine
- The seat is questionable tho. Different strokes for different folks.
- The pedals have been a concern for a few people. However Schwinn was quick to replace them with wider pedals. Good customer service.
Nautilus U616 Review – 300 Pound Weight Capacity
The Nautilus exercise bike is a mid range workout machine that has more features than the entry level bikes. The fancy design combined with a solid build make the Nautilus a great choice for the person wanting extra bells and whistles. Some of the features include:
- 4 user programming. This would suit a family wanting to loose weight together. Each person has their own profile to track separate data.
- High Res Blue back lit LCD monitor. Slightly larger than the common screens found on cheaper models. Customization attributes and comes with 29 pre programmed courses.
- 25 levels of resistance
- Wheels for easy transport
- Features a quick start button which is handy when you just want to get into it without messing around with the programs
- Little features that make this bike a good buy: 3 speed fan, Bluetooth connectivity, fairly good built in speakers and a shelf for which you can put a tablet on to watch movies, read emails, listen to music while working out.
Best Spin Bikes For Heavy People
Slightly different to an upright bike are the spin bikes. These exercise bikes are basically designed to resemble a real road bike. But with the advantages of being able to ride day/night, sun or rain due to being indoor cycles.
Bigger people have a tendency to avoid spin bicycles as they are of the impression that they can be a grueling workout and they wouldn’t have the stamina to keep up. This is not always the case.
Working out on a spin bike as a heavy person doesn’t have to be as daunting as you may think. You control the intensity and difficulty of the bike, so it’s no different to using a regular bike.
But with that said, not too many people over 300 pounds use spin bikes. Which is probably why most models have a weight capacity of about 250 – 270 pounds.
Whether or not a spin bike is right for you will come down to personal preference and the ability to lean forward like you would on a regular road bike. Sometimes us bigger men find it difficult to lean forward due to our larger bellies.
But if you can get past this, using a spin bike is one of the best ways to lose weight as it burns calories at a high rate. But the side effects of this are of course the sore legs and sometimes sore backside. Sure you may not be able to walk after the first few attempts, but the pain is worth the gain.
Spin Bicycle Options For The Overweight People
If you have already been searching for high weight capacity spin bikes, you may noticed that many fall under 300 pounds as the maximum user rating. This can be a little disheartening for a heavier person.
But after searching through many spin bike options, I have managed to find a number of suitable 350 lbs capacity spin bikes as well as 330 lbs spin bikes. However, any higher than this and it seems they don’t exist.
If you do weight more than 350 pounds, you may need to consider the above 400pound capacity upright exercise bike. For people under 350 pounds, you can check out the below spin bikes.
350 Pound Weight Capacity Recumbent Exercise Bike
The ProForm 440 ES Raises The Bar
The qualities and amount of features are above standard for a bike of relevant price status. All this is great, but how well does it go?.
While more of a recumbent design, this exercise bike is still a good choice for bigger folks needing a good workout. The oversized seat slides back and forward to give user a custom fit. However the seat doesn’t recline and I would suggest you look elsewhere if you are over 6’4″.
But where the seat gains credibility with me is with the lumbar support. I find this a great inclusion. Especially for the heavy person, as getting a sore back is all to easy. So the more support the better if you ask me.
The bike comes with 25 different resistance levels, so more challenging than the above Sole. Which gives the user more freedom to explore greater levels if so desired.
For a at home exercise bike, the ProForm 440 makes a strong case against commercial quality equipment. Unless you’re willing to pay double if not triple. Than I don’t know if you could find a better 350 lbs capacity exercise bike. With plenty of apps included among other features, ProForm did something right here. Especially by adding the lumbar support.
Loosing Weight On An Exercise Bike